Python is an extensively used programming language that enables developers to build scalable web and mobile applications with cross-platform compatibility. Python app development has become quick and simple with the availability of a variety of tools and libraries. From an enterprise perspective, Python is an ideal choice as it provides better support for backend development tasks. In addition, Python-based programming is also effective at implementing complex data analysis, AI and machine learning features in web and mobile apps.
There are several web and mobile frameworks that render support for Python app development. Flask and Django are popular Python-based frameworks that provide vast opportunities to developers for showcasing their skills and developing feature-rich applications.
This blog post highlights the five most popular Python-based web frameworks along with their key features and enterprise benefits.
Top 5 Python App Development Frameworks
Below are the most commonly used frameworks for Python-based application programming and Python development services.
Django is an open-source Python framework that provides a full-stack development environment for building cross-platform websites and web applications. It provides a high-level programming interface for faster code executions, thereby simplifying and accelerating the development process. Django enables Python developers to build responsive, scalable, and database-driven websites with intuitive UI/UX for maximum user interactions. It mitigates coding requirements, reduces time-to-market, by minimizing the development lifecycle.
Below are the key features of Django:
- It facilitates the reusability and pluggability of various app components in compliance with the model-template-view (MTV) architecture
- The framework incorporates low coupling to curtail development complexities
- Django provides a dynamic administrative interface that is easily configurable via admin models
- It offers an object-oriented programming language database for easy storage and recovery
- Supports multiple cache mechanisms
Flask is a lightweight microservices web framework or microframework that supports Python-based programming to develop static/dynamic web pages and web applications. Unlike the Django framework, Flask has no database abstraction layer and doesn’t require third-party tools or libraries. Available under the BSD license, it majorly relies on two components i.e Werkzeug WSGI toolbox and Jinja template. Werkzeug is a library of WSGI-compliant applications operating under the BSD license. Whereas, Jinja is a template engine for programming in Python language.
Below are the key features of Flask microframework:
- Comes with a built-in server and debugger
- Integrated support for unit testing for quality assurance
- Community support for extensions and pluggable functionalities
- Support for Jinja2 templating and WSGI 1.0
- Automatic updates
CherryPy is an object-oriented framework for building web applications that facilitate rapid development using Python-based programming. It runs seamlessly in a WSGI-compatible environment and embeds its own mult-hung server. As a result, the framework can act as a web server itself, thereby alleviating the backend processes. Using CherryPy, developers can build web applications similar to any other object-oriented program in Python. It renders support for add-on filters to call and execute at a given interval of time.
Key Features of CherryPy
- Compatible with multi-port HTTP servers
- Supports WSGI thread-pooled webserver; compatible with all WSGI-enabled web servers
- Built-in support for caching, encoding, sessions, authorization, static content, and others
- Built-in support for profiling, coverage, and QA testing
- Compatible with Python 2.7+, Python 3.5+, PyPy, and Jython
Key Features of TurboGears:
- Support for multiple databases
- Support for multiple command line tools
- Model View Controller (MVC) architecture
- Availability of PasteScript
- Availability of ToscaWidgets for server deployment
Pyramid is an open-source web framework based on Python application programming that is rapidly gaining traction these days. It is a progressively growing Python framework that is inspired by other similar projects like Pylons and Zope. The framework runs on Python 3 versions and is usually preferred by experienced developers because of its flexible, high-level programming interface. Pyramids provides a simple and minimalistic approach to building basic web applications faster and more efficiently.
Key Features of Pyramid:
- Increased transparency and effective quality control
- Support for URL mapping as per routes configuration
- HTML structure creation and validation
- End-to-end templating support
- Better quality testing support and flexible authentication
You may also be interested in reading Exploring Different Apps that Can Be Built With Python
Out of these five, Flask and Django are extensively popular among Python programmers and app developers. While Flask is a fast and lightweight web framework, Django provides a full-stack development environment for building cross-platform web applications. At Oodles, we have hands-on experience in using all these Python frameworks and more to build high-performance websites and web applications.
Why Choose Oodles Technologies For Python Development?
We are a seasoned Python app development company that provides end-to-end Python application development services for cross-industry enterprises. Our development team is skilled at using the latest Python frameworks and agile methodologies to build feature-rich web applications that run seamlessly across devices. Our Python software development services include support for 360-degree quality testing and performance optimization.